Duggleby Stephenson of York are pleased to announce that they have been instructed to sell some items from the private family collection at Harewood House, the seat of the Lascelles family and one of Britain's grandest
stately homes. Following the death of the Dowager Countess of Harewood in 2018, some rationalisation of the 1st floor private apartments has taken place and a consignment of items, mainly pictures, has been sent to the Auction rooms at York and will be included
in the Antiques, Fine Art, Interiors & Collectors sale on 19th June.
Also included are some pieces that have been stored at the House and are now being sold by Lord and Lady Harewood’s Charitable Settlement. These comprise
some early Victorian architectural brackets and wall pendants which were supplied under the direction of the architect Sir Charles Barry for the Gallery at the house circa 1845. When the Gallery was restored to its original 18th century design in 1989 they
were placed in storage. These 5 lots are estimated at £500-£800 and the proceeds will support conservation work by Harewood House Trust, an educational charity established in 1986.
The pictures cover the period from the 18th century, through the 19th century and into the 20th with modern British works. These include a set design by John Piper for Don Giovanni at Glyndebourne in 1951 estimated at £5,000-£8,000 Earlier works include a pair
of oils by a follower of the Venetian artist, Pietro Longhi, at £3,000-£5,000.
Also in the auction are a group of 13 lots consigned by a Lady of Title and include a pair of rare 18th century Naples figures by Filippo Tagliolini at £1,000-£1,500, a group of 18th and 19th Century Meissen figures in 7 lots and a good 18th century Chinese cloisonné
vase estimated at £1,000-£1,500.
The below photographs, taken during the Second World War, show the afforementioned pendants in situ at Harewood House, whilst it was then being used as a convalescent hospital; they can be seen flanking the windows to the left and at the far end of the rooms.
Images reproduced by kind permission of the family of Lt. Col. Dr. Leonard B. Cane, Senior Medical Officer at Harewood House Convalescent Hospital.